The History of West Vancouver

History of west vancouver

What is the history of West Vancouver? It began as a settlement of European immigrants in the 1870s and has slowly transformed into one of Canada‘s wealthiest municipalities. However, a few decades ago, the Town Planning Act forbade the emergence of new industries in the area, so the city remained a residential area. Since then, the history of West Vancouver has been quite varied. Here are some highlights:


There is a rich history behind the West Coast lumber company, which was founded in 1890. In the early 1900s, the company made timber in Vancouver and the surrounding area, and it also owned three lumber mills and a sawmill. As time passed, West Fraser expanded its manufacturing operations, including the acquisition of new plants and the expansion of its Eurocan sawmill. In the early 1990s, West Fraser formed a joint venture with the Whitecourt Newsprint Company to open a newsprint mill in Alberta. Other companies that West Fraser acquired were the producer of genetically modified seeds and the manufacturer of windows.

The wharf in West Vancouver was exposed, and it wasn’t deep enough to accommodate large boats. Young fishermen and tourists soon started visiting the area. A Presbyterian Church was built on the southeast corner of Marine Drive and 18th Street. In 1912, a forest fire threatened the McNairs logging operation, which was located near the shore of West Vancouver. This forest fire destroyed their upper camp, and tents lined the shoreline.


Living in a tiny car and a world of nature is what makes Laurisse happy. She loves the feel of sand between her toes, salt in her hair and a sour beer, and feels honored to be living on unceded land, which is sacred to indigenous peoples. She has been living in Eagle Harbour for twenty years. She overfeeds birds and squirrels from her deck, and believes in world peace.

The documentary Fracking the Peace is an eye-opening look at the fracking industry’s impact on the environment and the communities around it. The industry is rapidly expanding across B.C., despite the threat to our watershed and agricultural landscape. We need to take action and save our watersheds and communities from fracking. Fracking is not a good idea for the environment. But the movie makes a strong case for why the province should put a stop to this industrial practice.

West Vancouver is home to a number of parks, including Cypress Provincial Park, Whytecliff Park, and Lighthouse Park, all of which provide scenic views of the area. The town also features Canada’s first shopping mall, Park Royal Shopping Centre, and Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, which is one of the main connecting hubs in British Columbia. The area is located on the west side of the Coast Mountains, and many homes in West Vancouver have beautiful views of the Lower Mainland and the ocean.


The history of West Vancouver’s Narrows is a fascinating one. The Narrows area has a rich and varied history, spanning from prehistoric times to more recent times. The area is home to the Squamish, Tsawwassen, and Musqueam First Nations. It is a place of natural beauty and a place of adventure. The area has a rich heritage of sailing, fishing, and other maritime activities.

In 1926, the city was considering building a bridge over the first narrows. However, residents of the city opposed the idea. They felt that the bridge would disturb the park’s pristine greenspace. In addition, the bridge would require a road through Stanley Park. In 1930, a shipping accident damaged the Second Narrows Bridge and the bridge was removed. A second narrows bridge was later built, but that was not completed until 1961.

The first Narrows rail-and-car bridge was built in 1925. It had two lanes and a railway track down the center. When it was completed, it could be raised to accommodate boats. However, it was not an ideal solution for the growing city, and many accidents and mishaps occurred. The bridge was also known as the “bridge of sighs” because of the frequent marine accidents it was the site of.

Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church in Canada is comprised of more than a thousand congregations across the country. Their members come from many nationalities, and there are twenty Korean congregations among them. Their worship styles are diverse, and they practice many languages. In the 1990s, the church welcomed new congregations from the United States, China, and India. This story will give you some background on the church’s early years. Here’s a look at some of its members and what they accomplished.

In the year 1910, the church outgrew John Lawson’s house and built a large tent on the corner of Marine Drive and 18th Street. During heavy snowfall, the tent was destroyed, and a new wooden platform was used to build a large timber “Presbyterian Hall”. In 1912, Reverend Alver MacKay was elected the first minister of the church, and the building later served as the Red Cross quarters during the first world war. The Presbyterians eventually united with the Congregationalists, Baptists, and Methodists to form the West Vancouver United Church.

The church was founded in 1793 by Rev. Robert Morrison, a student at Columbia University. He later became the first ordained minister of the church. Morrison’s influence on the church’s formation made him an important part of the community. The church was renamed in 1897 to reflect the independence it enjoyed after breaking with the Roman Catholic Church. It also celebrated a special day in the church’s history.

St. Anthony’s School

For those who are looking for a quality, Catholic school in West Vancouver, St. Anthony’s School is the perfect choice. The school is located at 595 Keith Rd, West Vancouver, British Columbia. The school is a member of the Catholic Independent Schools of the Vancouver Archdiocese, and has approximately 200 students. The school’s history dates back to 1958, when lay teachers were hired to teach kindergarten and first grade students. In 1959, Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough came west to teach in the school. In 1972, the Sisters of St. Ann took over, and were in service at the school until 1979.

The school’s original building was completed in 1903. The school had an enrolment of about 500 students in 1957. In 1970, the school expanded to four classrooms, a gymnasium, and a separate convent for the nuns. In 1980, two additional classrooms were added to the east end of the building. In 2004, the school required replacement facilities, and Glotman*Simpson was hired to provide structural engineering services. The new 81,800 square foot building and gymnasium were completed in September 2004 and April 2005.

Ferry Building Gallery

The Ferry Building Gallery is a historic building that was used as a ferry terminal in 1912. In the 1920s, the Municipality of West Vancouver began using the facility to transport people from Burrard Inlet to the dock in downtown. Today, the building has been converted into an art gallery. The building has been designated as a heritage building. Visitors can see the ferry’s history and learn about the city’s development.

The Ferry Building Gallery is celebrating its 30th anniversary by hosting an exhibition of past artists. Some of the artists featured in the show include Carole Arnston, Claire Babcock, Elspeth Bradbury, Ray James Bradbury, Jane Adams Clark, Lil Chrzan, Isabelle Procter, and Melody Rivers. Other artists whose work is on display in the gallery include Shirley Claire Williams, Barry Shelton, and Navvy Jack.

The Ferry Building Gallery is West Vancouver’s first heritage building. It is home to over 1000 visitors a week and holds 20 exhibitions per year. The gallery promotes art education and gives a platform to North Shore artists. The Ferry Building Gallery hosts an annual arts festival called Harmony Arts Festival, which attracts locals and visitors from around the world. It is operated by West Vancouver Cultural Services and is run by volunteers.

Rod Day

The fourth book in the history of west Vancouver series, Inside West Vancouver, is an insightful memoir written by former municipal councillor and historian Rod Day. Drawing on his experiences as a member of council and as a history professor at Simon Fraser University, Rod Day did extensive research in the West Vancouver Archives and in personal records he has maintained over the years. Rod Day served on city council, advisory bodies, and working groups for 16 years.

The West Vancouver Historical Society is a non-profit society registered with the Canada Revenue Agency. It is located at 680 17th St., West Vancouver, BC. There are several committees in the city, but the West Vancouver Historical Society does not have a representative on the Museum Advisory Committee. The Society is relegated to a single, upstairs office. The group is concerned about the lack of public involvement and has called for more transparency.

West Vancouver is home to several parks, including Cypress Provincial Park and Whytecliff Park. These parks offer scenic views of the Pacific Ocean and are popular amongst locals. West Vancouver is also home to Canada’s first shopping mall, the Park Royal Shopping Centre. The city is also home to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, one of the main connecting hubs in British Columbia. This region is home to a number of parks, including the West Vancouver Community Centre, which has been completely renovated and reopened in the Spring of 2009.

Leave a Reply