Landlord Tenant Board Hearing Guide

Landlord Tenant Board Hearing Guide RTO of BC

Rules of procedure

The rules of procedure for landlord tenant board hearings in British Columbia govern the process of a landlord tenant dispute. They provide a clear guide to the roles and responsibilities of the landlord and the tenant. The rules cover issues such as quiet enjoyment, damage claims, and maintenance and repair. You can learn more about the organization and rules of procedure on the BC Housing Web site.

Before a landlord and tenant board hearing, the applicant must file a written description of the issues at issue in the dispute. Failure to do so will bar the tenant from raising those issues under sections 82(1) or 87(2) of the RTA. Any supporting documentation that the landlord has should be submitted to the LTB and any other party. The LTB is required to receive this material at least five days before the hearing.

When the landlord wants to evict the tenant from the property, he or she must provide the tenant with a Notice to End Tenancy form. A tenant can also choose to give a notice to end the tenancy themselves. If both parties agree, a written agreement can be signed that outlines the details of the termination of the tenancy.

An advocate may also be present at a hearing. Advocates can cross-examine the witnesses of the opposing party. While this may be costly, it is a useful way to protect your rights. The RTO of BC allows the use of advocates at landlord tenant board hearings. Tenants can also request help from the Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre.

When the LTB decides to hold a hearing, it will serve the application, motion, or request with a Notice of Hearing. In some cases, it may also serve the notice through email.


If you are a landlord, you should be aware of the different deadlines that may apply to your case. These deadlines are important, and if you fail to follow them, your case might be dismissed. Fortunately, there are resources available to help you comply with these deadlines and make sure that your case goes to trial.

The Residential Tenancy Act provides clear guidelines on landlord-tenant relationships. These guidelines cover issues such as maintenance, cleaning, repairs, facilities, quiet enjoyment, and damage claims. You can access the RTO of BC’s Web site for more information. In addition to these documents, it’s worth looking at the Residential Tenancy Branch’s website. This site contains useful information on how to get the process started, the organization, and more.

In addition, the Rules of Procedure require applicants and respondents to submit evidence as quickly as possible. If a party delays in serving evidence, an arbitrator may refuse to accept it. If a landlord is in a dispute with a tenant, they should try to resolve it as quickly as possible.

In some cases, the Board can order an early termination of the tenancy. However, this must be justified by a serious situation involving safety, cause, or conduct. In most cases, the landlord is the one who initiates the termination, but it can still happen in other circumstances.

Refund of deposits

Refund of deposits is a common topic in landlord tenant board hearings. This guide outlines the procedure for returning deposits. When a landlord is not able to return the deposit, the tenant may apply for dispute resolution. If the landlord does not comply with the tenants’ request, they may be forced to pay double the deposit. The landlord can either return the deposit in person or by electronic means. Electronic means are acceptable because the landlord cannot charge the tenant for the refund.

The landlord cannot keep the deposits without the tenant’s permission. In order to exercise this right, the tenant must provide the landlord with the tenant’s forwarding address. This must be done within one year of the end of the tenancy. In addition, the tenant must provide the landlord with the tenant’s forwarding address within fifteen days after the end of the tenancy.

Notice to tenants

A landlord who wishes to gain possession of a property must follow a specific process. Moreover, he or she must not use a bailiff firm that has a Ministry of Justice contract. As such, a landlord must provide tenants with a Notice to End Tenancy form.

The RTB’s website has valuable information about the process. It provides a basic overview of the legislation as well as links to other useful sections. In addition, it includes online forms and downloadable programs for PC compatibility. It also has short summaries on important landlord topics. Finally, it describes the policy intent behind landlord and tenant legislation. This includes the consideration of common law as well as statutory interpretation.

A landlord serving a Notice to Tenants should make sure that it is served in a timely manner. Failure to provide a timely notice could result in the landlord being unable to collect the rent or pay the resulting compensation. It is important to note that tenants who receive a Notice to End Tenancy should move out of their property by the time the notice is effective.

There are two main ways to file a notice. One way is through a Direct Request. Direct Requests are reserved for cases that are obvious and require a greater standard of proof. In addition, a Direct Request may not be accepted if the respondent does not attend the hearing. The applicant must provide the required documentation to support their request.

Once a tenant receives a Notice to End Tenancy, they have two months to file a counterclaim. If a tenant misses this deadline, they will be presumed to have accepted the end of their tenancy. Similarly, if they fail to file an application before the landlord has returned their deposit, their application will likely be dismissed.

Escalation of tenancy

Under the RTA, the landlord may assign a tenancy to another person who may be a third party. As long as the other party consents, the new tenant is liable for the obligations and benefits in the tenancy agreement and RTA. The new tenant may join the application or continue the proceeding if it is in the best interest of the tenant.

The landlord can also terminate the tenancy in certain circumstances. The landlord may use section 67 of the RTA to do so. The landlord must provide a copy of the purchase and sale agreement to the LTB. The Board is required to review the agreement before making a decision.

If a tenant transfers a tenancy to a third party, the landlord must obtain the consent of the third party before proceeding with the eviction. This is known as a sublet. Under the RTA, a tenant may give another person their rental unit if they have obtained the landlord’s consent. However, if the new tenant is not an authorized subtenant, the landlord may apply to the LTB for an order terminating the tenancy.

Leave a Reply