How to Reduce Your Rental Income Tax Rate in Canada

When it comes to taxing rental income, there are a lot of factors to consider. For example, there are many ways you can reduce your tax through a range of deductions.

In addition, landlord insurance is another tax-deductible expense that can make a huge difference for a rental property owner.

Sole proprietors

If you’re a sole proprietor and you run your rental property as a business, you’ll need to report income and deductions on a T1 income tax and benefit return. You can also use Form T2125, Statement of Business or Professional Activities to report your business income and expenses.

If your business earns rent from a residential property, the profit is subject to federal income tax. You’ll need to pay the tax by filing a T1 income tax and benefit return or a T776 rental income tax form with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

The federal government has seven brackets for income level and filing status: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35% and 39.6%. The chart below shows the rental income tax rate for each region of Canada.

As a sole proprietor, you can deduct a portion of your household expenses from your taxes as long as they relate to your business activities. These include your power, heat, rent, security, hydro and phone bills as well as any cell phone bills that you use for business purposes.

In addition to the general deductions, you can also claim a Capital Cost Allowance deduction for any renovations that you make to your rental property. If you make major renovations to your home or rental property, be sure to keep a detailed record of any expenses that you incurred.

Sole proprietors can also claim a partial deduction on any rental property expenses that they incur that are prepaid, such as the cost of home insurance premiums for the year. However, be sure to only claim the portion of these expenses that is related to the amount of your residential property that you use solely for your business.

You can also claim a portion of your mortgage interest as a business expense. This is a great way to save money on your yearly tax bill. Moreover, you can also deduct your property taxes and maintenance costs. Be sure to deduct these items from your total rental income as they will help you lower the amount of income you have to report on your tax return.


A partnership is a business structure that involves two or more individuals who agree to share profits, losses and management duties. There are many benefits to forming a partnership, including tax and liability protections.

If you are considering forming a partnership, be sure to discuss the legal implications with your partner. Having the correct documents in place is essential to protecting yourself and your investment.

In Canada, partnerships are governed by the laws of the province in which you operate the business. There are generally not as many regulations as are applied to corporations, and partners have great flexibility in deciding the exact structure of their partnership.

The key to forming a successful business partnership is finding the right people to work with. You need to consider whether your partners have the money and the time to commit to running the business.

You may also want to ensure that they have the skills and experience required to run your business effectively. There are several types of partnerships, and each has its own unique benefits and disadvantages.

General partnerships are the most common form of partnership. Each partner has equal ownership of the company and is responsible for managing the business and distributing the profits to the other partners.

Limited partnerships are another type of partnership, which offer greater protection to the owners. They are typically associated with knowledge-based businesses, such as legal and accounting firms.

These structures are more costly and complex to establish than a general partnership, but they provide more protection for the owners of the business. They also require a written agreement that covers the rights and responsibilities of all partners.

In addition, a partnership must regularly file information reports with local authorities. The requirements for these documents can be confusing and difficult to navigate, especially if you are not well versed in the rules of Canadian law.

If you are unsure about your financial situation, it is important to consult a qualified accountant who can guide you through the legal process of establishing a partnership and filing taxes. Getting the correct legal advice can save you time, money and headaches in the future.


Rental income is the revenue you earn from renting out a property, such as an apartment or house. This type of income may be generated by individuals, partnerships or corporations.

Depending on who owns the property, tax consequences vary. Incorporated rental properties are generally taxed at a corporate rate, while income earned by individuals in their personal names is taxable on their T1 individual tax returns.

The rental income tax rate for a corporation depends on the company’s annual income and taxable capital. If your company’s annual income is less than $500,000 and taxable capital is $15 million or less, you can take advantage of the small business deduction to reduce your corporate tax rate.

However, you should always seek professional advice before incorporating your rental property, as incorporating could come with additional expenses and tax implications. If you are a sole proprietor or partnership, use our Ontario personal income tax calculator to find your personal tax bracket.

If you rent your real estate, you can claim a range of eligible expenses as write-offs on your tax return. These include the cost of depreciable property like buildings, furniture and equipment that you own to run your rental operation. The amount of these write-offs is known as the capital cost allowance (CCA).

Similarly, you can deduct legal and accounting fees when you acquire or construct your rental property. You can also deduct a percentage of the land transfer taxes you paid when purchasing or constructing your building, if they were used to pay for the purchase of the building.

There are also other write-offs for certain kinds of services you provide in relation to your rental property. This includes the services you offer your tenants such as heat, lighting, laundry and cleaning.

You can also deduct the costs of hiring an accountant or other professional for bookkeeping services and audits of your financial records. You can also deduct the expenses for finding new tenants and managing your rental property.

The type of service you provide will determine whether your rental income is considered a property or business. Typically, the more services you offer in relation to your rental property, the more likely it is that your income will be classified as business income. This will impact how you write-off your rental property expenses and the forms you file at tax time.


When non-residents earn rental income in Canada, they are liable to pay taxes on the income. This type of tax is known as non-resident tax, and it is an important part of the Canadian income tax system.

The rate of tax for non-residents is 25% on gross income. This amount is normally withheld by the property owner or their agent, and is typically remitted on a monthly basis to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

It is possible for a non-resident taxpayer to elect under section 216 of the Income Tax Act to have net rent withheld instead of gross rent. This option is available if you and your agent estimate the net rent amount for each year, and you send a Form NR6 to the CRA for approval.

Depending on the option you choose, you and your agent may also have to make sure that you file a Section 216 personal T1 tax return by June 30 of each year for each taxation year you have received rental income. Failure to do so can result in a penalty of 25% on the gross rental amount owed.

There is a simple way to ensure that your non-resident tax on rental income is correctly withheld and remitted, and it involves hiring a property management firm and legally listing them as your Canadian agent. This is the best way to comply with non-resident tax requirements and ensure that all taxes are paid on time and in full.

In most cases, a property management firm will be able to take care of the filing and withholding taxes required for a rental income tax return. In addition, they will be able to provide you with the proper NR4 tax statement that you need when you’re submitting your taxable income for tax purposes.

The NR4 statement is an important tool to help you avoid penalties and other issues with the CRA. It will help you track your non-resident tax on rental income, and it will be a useful reference for you when you’re filing your Canadian income tax return.

Leave a Reply